A Photo Analysis

This is a picture by Mike Brodie (Polaroid Kid). I discovered Mike Brodie's photography not too long ago - and I was enamored. His use of brilliant rich colors and powerful subjects really draw me in.

I chose this picture because of its depth and mood. On the left, you see the dead bird opened to its full scale. On the right is a group of burgundy flowers. Observing the layout of the picture, you will notice that the arms are placed on opposite sides - one is high in the shot while the other is low.

The flowers are quite like the bird in the sense that they span out on the top while on the bottom their stems are thin. The bird is just like an upside down version of the flowers; its legs are like the stems and its body is like the flowers. It seems that the photographer planned this. I like how the colors in both seem to switch as well. The grass behind the bird seems to be close in color to that of the flowers. The grass behind the flowers seems to be the same for the bird. I really love this.

The message I draw from these photos is that in death there is still beauty. The bird is dead, but it is still gorgeous. Its feathers still have some life to them because of how bright they are. The flowers have been picked and will soon die, but they will still be beautiful and red before and after death. For me the hands symbolize that we all can hold onto the things we love even after they are dead.