Personal Statement

My pursuit of photography started in seventh grade when I joined Jefferson County 4-H Video and Photography Club. I learned how to use different cameras and editing software for both video and photography, including Final Cut Pro and Adobe Photoshop. I enjoyed working with video, acting and producing short creative dramas and comedy pieces, however my heart was really in photography.

Not too long after joining 4-H, I took a trip to Thailand and my interest for photography flourished. The beautiful nature, warm people and freedom I experienced there inspired me to explore my photography further. This was when I learned that photography was something I was truly passionate about.

My love for people is what influences me the most when I am doing my art. I strive to connect with people - with or without my camera. I am attentive to details that make up a person, and I try to show that through my photos.

I live in a family of accomplished artists. Both of my parents were professional musicians in the Seattle Symphony, so as I grew up I was introduced to the arts. I'm not sure what I would like to do with my photography, however I have my heart set on two different areas of study - fashion photography and photo journalism.

I have had a strong interest in fashion since I was very young. I love nothing more than to buy a new Vogue magazine and turn to the back where the high fashion editorial photos are. For several years now I have tried my hand at constructing clothing, designing fashion sets and even modeling.

My interest in photo journalism is motivated by my deep concern for people and social justice. I want people to see the truth of what is going on in the world without sugar coating. For my Senior Project this year I am producing a collection of interviews and photos about homelessness in collaboration with a local shelter.

After going to the Cornish Summer Arts program this year I know that Cornish is a place that will help me discover what I am best at. I would enjoy the small student body because I like to work closely with people who share the same passions as me. The location of the school is ideal because I appreciate and love Seattle's ethnic diversity and creative arts communities. I also have a genuine attraction to Cornish because it supports artists - and that's what I want to become.